Help for Taxpayers

To assist Arizona residents with common tax issues, we created this Tax Information Center.

If you have questions, please call our Phoenix office: (602) 956-2285. We're here to help.

How We Can Help

Our office is here to help you cut through government red tape and help you get the services you need. This includes helping you with tax issues you may be having with the IRS. For example, we may be able to help you with a delayed tax refund and other issues.

To learn more, please feel free to call our office at (602) 956-2285 or click here for more information.

Click here to go back to the top.

File your taxes for free

The IRS provides a free tax preparation and filing service through the IRS Free File program. This initiative is available to taxpayers who have a 2015 Adjusted Gross Income of $60,000 or less.

Since 2003, the IRS Free File program has offered eligible taxpayers free access to tax preparation, completion and filing services and has saved taxpayers an estimated $1.3 billion in filing costs.

You can also use the service to setup a direct deposit to receive your return in a timely fashion.

Click here to learn more

Click here to go back to the top.

Get free tax preparation help

The IRS offers free tax preparation help for qualifying taxpayers. One of the most popular programs that the IRS offers is the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program, or VITA.

Under this initiative, IRS-certified volunteers can assist you in filing your basic income tax return. The VITA program is open to people who make $53,000 or less a year. It is also available to people with disabilities, the elderly, and taxpayers with limited English-speaking abilities who need help with preparing their own returns.

In addition, a separate program called Tax Counseling for the Elderly (or TCE) offers free tax help for Americans who are 60 years old or older. Certified TCE volunteers can help older taxpayers with tax issues relating to pensions and other retirement issues.

Volunteers under the VITA and TCE programs are usually available to assist you at community locations like libraries, schools, and shopping malls. The IRS has more information on the locations closest to you where you can get help.

Click here to find a VITA or TCE location near you, or call 800-906-9887 to get help.

Click here to go back to the top.

Get your past tax refund

Did you know that taxpayers have up to 3 years to claim a refund? Many taxpayers don’t realize that they have money they can still claim.

Every year, millions of dollars in unclaimed returns are available to taxpayers. In fact, during tax season in March 2014, the IRS announced that an estimated 918,600 taxpayers nationwide may be missing out on almost $760 million in tax refunds from 2010.

If you believe you may have an unclaimed tax refund, it may not be too late for you to get your hard-earned money. Be sure you have proof of timely filing such as a return receipt requested or certified mailing if you file by the deadline in case the IRS denies your request for late filing.

If you're interested in learning more, the IRS website has both current and prior year tax forms so you can claim any refund that you're owed. If you are unable to claim your refund via the IRS website, or if you have questions, please call our Phoenix office for help: (602) 956-2285.

Click here to visit the IRS website.

Click here to go back to the top.

Avoid tax scams

Tax Season is a crucial period to be aware of tax scams. Criminals have been known to use a variety of tactics to steal your personal information and your hard-earned money. For instance, some use threatening and aggressive phone calls to get your personal information. And while the vast majority of tax preparers are honest, some dishonest and fraudulent tax preparers have also been known to steal from taxpayers. Some scammers will even fraudulently use the IRS logo to gain your trust and steal your personal information and identity.

In February 2016, the IRS revealed the top “dirty dozen” tax scams that it has seen criminals using this year. The best way to protect your personal information and property is to educate yourself. The IRS website has more information on some common tax scams and resources taxpayers can use.

Click here for more information on how to avoid some common tax scams.

Click here to go back to the top.

Obtain critical documents: Past returns and W-2s

Most Americans need access to some critical documents in order to file their taxes. Some of the most common documents are past tax returns and your current or a past W2. Information on how to obtain both kinds of documents is below.

Past tax returns: As you know, your tax return contains the details of much of your most personal and private financial information. Sometimes it's necessary for you to have access to this information to complete a financial transaction, such as taking out a mortgage or a student loan.

If you need a copy of this information from a prior year, you can receive prior year tax information for free from the IRS for the current year or one of the past three filing years.

Click here for more information.

Past W2s: As you may know, a W-2 form contains an employee's income and tax information. For many American workers, having the right W-2 is essential for filing your taxes.

If you need W-2 information for a prior tax filing year, you may be interested to know that the IRS allows individual taxpayers to request that information free of charge. While the IRS does not keep actual copies of your W-2, they do keep your W-2 information for the last 10 processing years. And if needed, you can also pay a fee to get a complete copy of a past tax return.

Click here for more information.

Click here to go back to the top.

Contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service for more help

The Taxpayer Advocate Service is available to help you through the sometimes complicated tax filing process. They can help answer your questions, get you additional taxpayer resources, and make sure you are treated fairly.

They can also help you if your tax problems are causing financial hardship for you and your family, or if no one at the IRS has responded to your concerns.

Here is the contact information for the Taxpayer Advocate Service in Sacramento in case you need help:

Arizona Taxpayer Advocate Service
4041 N. Central Ave. MS-1005PHX, 
Phoenix, AZ 85012
Phone: (602) 636-9500
Fax: 855-829-5330

You may also file Form 911 available from and send it via mail or fax to your local Taxpayer Advocate Office. A list of Taxpayer Advocate offices is located at

Click here to go back to the top.


    How to use: Insert <span class="EXACT_VALUE_LABEL_AS_ENTERED_BELOW">&nbsp;</span> where you'd like the value to be populated.

    Non-breaking space within span tags - &nbsp; - is required for WYSIWYG.

    (no spaces or special characters)


    Comments (optional)
    repName Congresswoman Kyrsten Sinema  
    helpWithFedAgencyAddress 2944 N. 44th Street
    Suite 150
    Phoenix, AZ 85018
    Phone: 602-956-2285
    Hours: M-F 8-5:00pm
    district 9th District of Arizona  
    academyUSCitizenDate July 1, 2016  
    academyAgeDate July 1, 2016  
    academyApplicationDueDate October 20, 2016  
    repStateABBR AZ  
    repDistrict 9  
    repState Arizona  
    repDistrictText 9st  
    SponsoredBills Sponsored Bills  
    CoSponsoredBills Co-Sponsored Bills  
  • Office Locations

    Office Name Location Image Map URL
    Washington DC 1530 Longworth House Office Building
    Washington, DC 20515
    Phone: 202-225-9888
    Hours: M-F 8:30-6:30pm
    2944 N. 44th Street
    Suite 150
    Phoenix, AZ 85018
    Phone: 602-956-2285
    Hours: M-F 8-5:00pm